This happened during my first internship...way back in my first summer out of college, back in 2013.
Although I was a C.S major, and was supposed to take modules in advanced math and computing, I took electives in accounting 101, in my first year, and for the first summer out of college, I applied, and was accepted as a book-keeper for an educational software firm on the sunny island of Penang. (Dad helped too)
The idea was simple. I had a cousin, who was a Pharmacy major. But she took a summer to intern in the Corporate Communications department of a Big Pharma company, to learn the PR side of the business. Similarly I had a college senior, who was in Automotive Engineering, but took a summer to intern in the marketing department of the Toyota Motor Asia Pacific head office in Singapore, as again he wanted to learn another side of the business, to make himself more well-rounded.
As such, I worked as a book-keeper for a small educational software firm, as my dad got me that job, and to learn about the finance side of the business. But god dayum, I only lasted two months in that summer internship. Here's why.
On my final night, I was working late, trying to balance the bank reconcilliations for the previous month. But guessed what happened.
The office of that software firm, was on the ninth floor of a corporate building. But at 9pm everything started going haywire.
Strange sounds started outside the company windows. Like claws scratching. But it was the 9th floor. At 9pm. I wasn't about to find out if they were pigeons, or something else. I left the curtains closed, and tried to finish up my work. Then the phones started ringing, but when i answered, there was nothing but an eerie silence on the other end. Thinking nothing of it, I simply ignored that too.
That was when, some one, or something started typing on the keyboard in front of me...messing up all my work, obviously telling me to leave.
I was like all right, all right, I'm leaving.
I grabbed my things and left. But just as I was exiting out the door, something eerily like a cold hand swept against the back of my head. As if warning me: 'Never stay in late again'
Suffice to say, I tendered my resignation the very next day, and never went back. My dad was furious, but I explained that office was haunted.
I was never returning. I never returned.
In the following years, I took creative writing modules as electives alongside my C.S major, instead of accounting electives like before. And that's what got me writing seriously.
Other peers took exciting electives like ballroom dancing, wine-tasting, and Japanese 101. But for me, I kept things simple. I thoroughly enjoy creative writing, and never looked back since.
No comments:
Post a Comment